xclip bugs (was: Practical question)

Chris Rewerts rewerts at diego.cecer.army.mil
Wed May 24 17:08:47 EDT 1995

>> From grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil Wed May 24 10:03:07 1995
>> Subject: Practical question
>>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I have a couple of practical questions regarding GRASS.
>>

>> 1) In XGrass4.1.5 I cannot get the vector-copying dialog to work as
   it should. It gives a
>> erroneous word in the "g.copy" command ("vector" instead of "vect")
   when it calls the program.
>> Can this be corrected easily without the need to recompile XGrass?
   (I only have the binaries)

>> Trond Rinde

>> Trond Rinde
>> Norwegian Institute of Technology
>> Dept. of Hydraulics and Environmental Engineering
>> S.P.Andersens veg 5
>> N-7034 Trondheim
>> Norway
>>
>> tel: +47 73 59 47 60
>> fax: +47 73 59 12 98
>>
>> email: tr at grana.ivb.unit.no

This problem seems be a mismatch in the parsing nomenclature of the
grass command line program and xgrass's xclip scripts for copying
vector maps.

Since that last sentence confuses the heck out of me, maybe I should
back up with my explaining:

In the development of xgrass, it was decided that instead of creating
separate graphical user interfaces (GUIs) for each grass command, it
was more practical to use a program that read a script that told it how
to create an interface to run 'on top of' the command line programs.
This program is called 'xclip4.1' (if you are using grass4.1).

For each program for which that xclip is used, there is a script that
tells it about the inputs/outputs/flags/parameters/dependencies/etc
for the given program.

In the source tree for grass, the xclip scripts can be found in

 [your grass src base dir]/src/xgrass/xclip

In the installed grass tree, the scripts can be found in

 [your grass installed base dir]/etc/xclip

Most xclip scripts have the same name as the command they call,
eg d.rast = d.rast.

In the case that Trond reported, g.copy, the name of the xclip file
is 'g.copyvect'.

It is an ascii file, Trond, so you will not need to recompile to make
the fix work if you edit the file under your $GISBASE tree I listed
above. Just edit g.copyvect's line 5, where it says:

     commandstring:"vector=(fromfile),(tofile)"

change "vector" to "vect", so it looks like this:

     commandstring:"vect=(fromfile),(tofile)"

That should fix your problem. It did for me.

For more info about xgrass/xclip/xgen:
ftp://moon.cecer.army.mil/grass/grass4.1/documents/XUserGuide.ps

Chris Rewerts (rewerts at diego.cecer.army.mil) USACERL LL-N