Installation - faulty monitor locking

dww D.W.Wheatley at soton.ac.uk
Tue Sep 5 08:00:00 EDT 1995

On Mon, 4 Sep 1995, M. W. Lake wrote:

> I have just installed GRASS 4.1 on a SPARC 20 running Solaris 2.4.  I used
> the g.5 binaries as recommended in recent exchanges on this list.
>
> Everything seems to be working ok except the graphics drivers.  When I
> start a monitor (I'm running motif) an empty window appears followed by
> the message "Error - could not complete locking process..." and the path
> for the lock.
>
> Any ideas?  (I have uncommented the X driver references in the monitorcap
> file").

Mark,

Sounds like a permissions problem to me - check the permissions on
the $GISBASE/dev directory which should be owned by the grass user
and have drwxr-xr-x permissions.

Each of the fifo's should also be owned by the grass user and
be prw-rw-rw-.

The $GISBASE/locks directory should have the same ownership but
be drwxrwxrwx so that user's processes can write locking files
to it.

If you don't have a grass user, but are installing the binaries in your
home directory (I've done this on a solaris system), make all the files
owned by yourself with chown -R myname:mygroup grassdirectory.

David Wheatley
Department of Archaeology,
University of Southampton,
Highfield, Southampton, S017 1BJ