real time GRASS

Steve Dzurenko steve at ocean.oce.uri.EDU
Tue Sep 19 08:59:32 EDT 1995

Well, OK, soft real time.

I am developing GRASS as a real time oceanographic
survey tool.  I have a bunch of real time data
acquisition programs which communicate with the
GRASS environment through the GRASS gis library
calls G_getenv, G_setenv, etc.

I think I am pushing the limits of GRASS as far
as the environment variable file goes.  With so
many calls to change GRASS environment variables
and write the environment file, programs are
crashing quite frequently.  I think this is due
to attempts to write the GRASS environment file
while another program is attempting to do the
same thing.

I have mailed the lists before about this problem.
Please, if you have any insight into what may be
going on and why and how I can get around it, please
let me know.  Thanks.

-Stephen Dzurenko
 Ocean Mapping Division
 Ocean Technology Center