importing DEM's

Scott Grover ScottG at horne.com
Mon Apr 29 08:00:00 EDT 1996

I am using GRASS 4.15 under Linux.  I downloaded some DEMs from the USGS,
but it appears that the existing extraction utilities in GRASS are expecting
the files to be on tape.  When I copy the files to a tape, m.dem.extract
fails to create a proper raster map. It repeats the error message that the
program unexpectedly encountered a type C header file, but then continues
with the file processing.  It also appears that the DEM does not have the
proper UTM coordinates.  The USGS spec sheet for the 1-degree DEM says the
coordinate system is "World Geodetic System 1972 Datum."  The units apear to
be in arc-seconds.  Will m.dem.extract convert these valuse to DD:MM:SS?

I have copied the DEM to tape, and used m.dem.extract from a variety of
locations and projections (the proper UTM zone, and LL with WGS 1972).  Each
time a raster file is created, but GRASS is unable to open these files: "map
does not match projection of current mapset" is the error message.

Does anyone recognize what I am doing wrong, and/or have any suggestions for
creating a raster map from a USGS 1:250K DEM?

Thanks,
Scott Grover
scottg at horne.com