GIS Resources for Linux Workstations

Dan Haskell dhaskell at halcyon.com
Fri Apr 19 08:00:00 EDT 1996

Dave Mandel <dmandel at transport.com> wrote:

>    It's funny.  I did a lot of work with LTPlus starting in 1989
>when I introduced it to Infotec Development Inc.  for a large
>topographic data capture project.  Still I almost forgot about it
>in my "Geography on Linux" talk last Thursday.  I have seen Dan
>Haskell's "LTPlus for Linux", and I think it is the best GIS data
>for Linux.  In fact, it is good by any standard.

Dave is being modest here. I believe he also introduced LTPlus to the US
Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and a number of other organizations. In
addition, Dave, along with Tuyen Ngo, performed the first major porting of
the program (from Xenix to SCO Unix/ODT). As I think about it, he was also
the one who introduced me to LTPlus. To be certain, neither LT4X, Delta3D,
or LTPlus-for-Linux would exist now if it weren't for this man.

On the downside, he was the one who introduced John Dabritz (the prime
author of LTPlus) and Holly Martin to Infotec... (is John still speaking
with you Dave?)

>    As far as I know Dan still sells LTPlus.  In fact, he recently
>told me he was working on a new release.  His email address is
>dhaskell at halycon.com.

I am. At present I am working on a version that utilizes Tcl as a macro
language, supports HTML based help pages, and allows vector digitizing
(along a number of other goodies). Anyone interested in the current
status of the project is welcome to visit

                http://www.halcyon.com/dhaskell/

(please note that this Web page is a work in progress).

                                                Thanks,
                                                Dan Haskell

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
                                                - Winston Churchill -