help required from grass users

Mohammad J Abedini mabedini at uoguelph.ca
Mon Apr 15 08:00:00 EDT 1996

        Dear grass users

Recently, I downloaded grass4.15 from U. S. Army home page and followed
the suggestion made by "Yung-Tsung Kang" to install GRASS on my personal
computer. FYI, I have the latest version of slackware linux OS on my system.
I am having trouble to make the software operational. In order to give an
idea of at what stage I am, here is the directory tree that I have under
"/home/grass"

drwxr-xr-x   2 grass    users        5120 Jan 15 09:23 bin/
drwxr-xr-x   2 grass    users        1024 Jan 10 00:10 dev/
drwxr-xr-x   2 grass    users        1024 Jan  9 09:05 driver/
drwxr-xr-x  12 grass    users        2048 Feb 20 23:31 etc/
drwxr-xr-x   2 grass    users        1024 Jan  9 17:32 fonts/
drwxr-xr-x   4 grass    users        1024 Jan  9 07:46 garden/
drwxrwxr-x   3 101      31           1024 Apr 13 23:30 global/
-rwxr-xr-x   1 grass    users         132 Jan  9 07:46 gmake4.1*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 grass    users         124 Jan  9 07:45 gmake4.1.orig*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 grass    users          62 Feb 20 23:31 grass4.1*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root           71 Feb 20 23:31 grass4.1.orig*
drwxrwxrwx   4 root     root         1024 Apr 14 00:20 imagery/
drwxr-xr-x   4 grass    users        1024 Feb 28 22:43 locks/
drwxr-xr-x   8 grass    users        1024 Jan  9 07:46 man/
drwxr-xr-x   2 grass    users        1024 Jan 15 11:26 readme/
drwxr-xr-x   3 grass    users        1024 Jan  9 17:40 scripts/
drwxrwxrwx   3 101      31           1024 Feb 27 23:16 spearfish/
drwxr-xr-x   7 grass    users        1024 Jan  9 17:39 txt/

Based on the following response, it seems that my problem is somehow
related to the ownership issues. Again, FYI I am using the system as a
super-user. Here are some of the response that I am getting upon
providing "grass4.1" command.

                     GRASS 4.1

LOCATION: This is the name of an available geographic location.  -spearfish- [4
;11His the sample data base for which all tutorials are written.

MAPSET:   Every GRASS session runs under the name of a MAPSET.  Associated [7;1
1Hwith each MAPSET is a rectangular COORDINATE REGION and a list [8;11Hof any n
ew maps created.

DATABASE: This is the unix directory containing the geographic databases [12;10
HThe REGION defaults to the entire area of the chosen LOCATION. [13;10HYou may
change it later with the command: g.region

LOCATION:   PERMANENT_____(enter list for a list of locations)

MAPSET:     root__________(or mapsets within a location)

DATABASE:   /home/grass/spearfish_____________________________

Welcome to GRASS 4.1 (Spring 1993) Update Package 5, January 1995

Geographic Resources Analysis Support System (GRASS) is a Trademark
of U.S. Army Construction Engineering Research Laboratories (USACERL)

New releases of GRASS are coordinated and produced by the Office of
GRASS Integration (OGI) located at USACERL.

This version running thru the TC Shell (/bin/tcsh)
Help is available with the command: g.help
When ready to quit enter:           exit

Mapset <root> in Location <PERMANENT>
GRASS 4.1 > g.help
command is not find

Upon login as "root" or as "grass", I will get the same response.

Mapset <root> in Location <PERMANENT>
GRASS 4.1 > d.mon start=x1

At this stage, I have two windows in front of me, i.e., xterm and
monitor: x0

Graphics driver [x0] started
ERROR: region for current mapset is invalid
       <projection field missing>
       run g.region
Problem selecting x0. will try once more.
ERROR: region for current mapset is invalid
       <projection field missing>
       run g.region

Mapset <root> in Location <PERMANENT>
GRASS 4.1 > g.region
default region is not set.

Mapset <root> in Location <PERMANENT>
GRASS 4.1 > d.mon -L
name                 description                  name
----                 -----------                  -----
x0                   X-Windows graphics display   running
x1                   X-Windows graphics display   not running
x2                   X-Windows graphics display   not running
x3                   X-Windows graphics display   not running
x4                   X-Windows graphics display   not running
x5                   X-Windows graphics display   not running
FINS                 X-Windows graphics display   not running
CELL                 X-Windows graphics display   not running

Mapset <root> in Location <PERMANENT>
GRASS 4.1 > exit

exit
GRASS SESSION WRAPUP

You have just finished working on mapset: <root>

There are no RASTER maps in this mapset
There are no VECTOR maps in this mapset
There are no SITES maps in this mapset

Shall the mapset <root> be saved? y/n [y]
WARNING - if you remove your mapset, you will lose
          all your data files in this mapset

are you sure you want to remove your mapset? y/n [n]
Removing MAPSET root
MAPSET --root-- REMOVED.

                  GOOD BYE from GRASS

Your suggestion and help to resolve this problem is greatly appreciated.
In case, you need more info. to figure the problem out, I would be more
that happy to provide that.

Thanks
Abedini