Landsat TM data

loringc at TEN-NASH.TEN.K12.TN.US loringc at TEN-NASH.TEN.K12.TN.US
Fri Apr 12 08:00:00 EDT 1996

#1/1
references: <199604120201.TAA05581 at cascade.gis.cwu.edu>
content-type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
organization: University of Illinois at Urbana
mime-version: 1.0
reply-to: grassu-list at pandora.cecer.army.mil
newsgroups: info.grass.user
originator: daemon at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

Hi David et al.

My name is Colin Loring, I'm in upper east TN working with
the Hancock Co. Soil Conservation District (SCD) and NRCS.

I don't where you're looking but NRCS bought some Landsat TM
in TN several years ago, covering the TN portion of the Clinch River
watershed. Don't remember the path and row but will get it if you'd like.
It covers upper east TN though.
You might check with NRCS or SCD's in your area of interest.

On Thu, 11 Apr 1996, David Viebrock wrote:

> Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 19:01:14 -0700 (PDT)
> From: David Viebrock <viebrock at gis.cwu.edu>
> To: grassu-list at pandora.cecer.army.mil
> Subject: Landsat TM data
>
> Dear All,
>
> I am working on an agricultural land use pattern study for my master's thesis
> and I was wondering if anyone knows of someplace where I can get landsat data
> (TM preferable: Path 45 row 27) from the early to middle 1980's for little
> or no cost.  I know about Eosat and the Eros data center but I was wondering
> that since this is an educational project if there might be any special
> considerations that might work in my favor?  Or, am I stuck?

I'm working with a group of - Community Partners- with interest in
economic development and resource base conservation.
The Co. gvt. and School system, SCD, Chamber of Commerce, Clinch-Powell RC&D,
Jubilee (an Appalachian mission project), Emergency Mgt. & Red Cross,
TNC et al, are represented. I've been asked to put together a GIS demo.
So far I've got a friend here in TN NRCS coming to Sneedville to show
some agricultural applications on GRASS with some Digital ortho photoquads
and some of the '82 Landsat TM stuff on his laptop.

I'd like to ask to the list, if anyone out there has done any GRASS based
Emergency Mgt. or forestry projects including forest fire mgt.
or geohydrologic stuff. I think I could borrow some equipment to run
some time series or animation if it could be transferred
via i-net to the Sneedville site.

The SCD in partnership with others, hopes to get started with a GRASS
based system now, with an open mind to going -standard- in the future if
it appeared necessary. TN and NRCS have officially stated they plan to
adopt Arc/Info as their standard, and be running it some time in the
future when funding allows.

I feel like the demo and ensuing hands on play time
could help bring together a county GIS partnership
capable of a sustained growth county
GIS program; if it's a good demo
and can catalyze formation of the GIS
partnership.