Linus and IBM machines

J.M. Patek jpatek at smokey.prismnet.com
Wed Apr 3 07:00:00 EST 1996

Doc Robinson wrote:

> We are investigating various machines to purchase that will do
> double duty as windows95 and Linux boxes...
> Linux of GRASS4.1 and other uses
>
> someone cautioned us
> about the machines such as IBM Aptiva and others that the hardware
> may not be compatible with Linux ...
>
> does anyone have experience with IBM boxes/Linux/Grass   ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards
> Vince

---> geomancer - one who practices divination by means of a figure
.
> phone: 905-828-5299     http://eratos.erin.utoronto.ca/res/vbr/web/index.html
> fax:   905-828-5273

I have several machines that dual boot.  However, I am using Windows NT 3.51 an
Linux and haven't tried dual booting with Win95.  I currently have 2 Pentium 90
's
(Austin), 2 Pentium 133's (a Tyan motherboard and an Intel), and am currently
building 2 Dual P6 200's.  There is a variety of vidio cards, hard drives, card
s,
tape drives, etc. among them.  All work fine.  I had trouble with the video car
and X on one of them (Diamond card), but installing X-Inside's Accelerated driv
er
cured that.  The other problem you may run into is with SCSI controllers, Linux

likes some better than others (Adaptec 2940 PCI controller can be a pain), so I

now use NCR cards (810 or 825).  If I can be of any assistance, feel free to
phone or email me.

Jim Patek
Senior Engineer
LCRA