GIS Resources for Linux plus questions

Oskar Pearson 090OSKAR at uwcc.cc.wits.ac.za
Mon Apr 1 07:00:00 EST 1996

Hi Lester

> The other question I have is more of a Linux question.
>  I would like to give Linux Grass on a PC access
> to a live file system from an ethernet network
> using NFS on a Unix machine that is running Sun OS4.1.3.
> I am currently successfully linked to the Sun using tcp/ip
> and win ftp programs and X windows software for Win95.
>   Any suggestions from Linux experts to help get Linux
> talking to a Sun using Tcp/Ip or NFS would be greatly
> appreciated and would provide a good deal more
> functionality to Linux Grass for us.

Starting with the basics:
Can you telnet from the linux box to the Sun OS machine?
(ie does the network work?)

What linux distribution are you using?

Your Sun box has to give permission to the linux box to read it.

This is done by the root (of the sun box) adding the linux box to the
list of machines in it's exports file.

Once this has been done you need to run a command like the following:
mount -t nfs sun.our.machine:/usr/local/grass/data /usr/local/grass/data

the first usr/local/grass/data is the directory that you are retrieving
the files from, and the second path is the directory that you want the
files to be in.

If you have any problems, just ask.

Oskar