Getting Grassland/Unix to read LOCATIONS

Lawrence Houston grass at boyd.geog.mcgill.ca
Thu Aug 8 08:00:00 EDT 1996

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, Grass package wrote:

> I'm currently checking out the free UNIX version of Grassland, to see if
> it's any good for teaching. Although I can use the demo database
> that's included during installation, I can't manage grassland to accept
> any of the pre-existing Grass $LOCATIONs. I have added the path to one
> of these to the bookmark.lst file, then tried to open it from the map
> librarian, but I get a 'too many fikes open' or a core dump for my
> troubles.
> Is there any undocumented step I should know about? How many of you have
> actually tried getting grassland/Unix up and running?

Martijn:

With the WIN95/NT Version of GRASSLAND one can ONLY have a single Database
open at any one time, therefore the Sample "Spearfish" Dataset should be
closed before opening your existing GRASS Database.

Additionally X-Y Raster Types are NOT supported in GRASSLAND, but may be
viewed if a "false" UTM Zone is given before georeferencing
("DEFAULT_WIND", "WIND" & "cellhd/*"):

     "proj:" 0 ---> 1
     "zone:" 0 ---> ?

With a UTM Zone Selected the files "PROJ_INFO" and "PROJ_UNITS" as
generated by "g.setproj" will be required.

Lawrence Houston  -  (grass at boyd.geog.mcgill.ca)