DEM Developemnt

x94odenkirk at wmich.edu x94odenkirk at wmich.edu
Tue Feb 20 07:00:00 EST 1996

Hello,
        I am begging for some insight on the development of a DEM. I hope
that someone can take the time and reply with some knowledge about this
subject. Here is a breif review of my situation:
        1) I originally started with Autocad files that had index
contours and their respective labels on two different layers. This file
was converted to DXF format and then input to my mapset via v.in.dxf.
This file is 0.9mB in size.
        2)I first attempted to run v.to.rast with this file and the
following error was returned: G_malloc: out of memory...obviously a
hardware problem, but why?
        3)I then ran v.support for this contour map, using the default
options to build topology information. I didn't attempt to edit the
catagory label file.
        4)I then ran v.cadlabel hoping that all the contours would then
be assigned attributes(elevations).
        5)Then I ran v.digit in order to manually label all unlabeled contours.

        6)Since I couldn't create a raster file, I thought to run
v.to.sites, in order to develope a sites map for the s.surf.tps program.
The v.to.sites ran for a day and then, since there was no action or prompt,
I aborted this attempt. There was a resultant sites map but it was just a
small x when displayed on the monitor.
        Questions:
How does one set the resolution on a vector map in order to
run v.to.rast, with out running out of memory? and
Is this (resolution) my problem?
        If you have any information about the above programs or about the
creation of a DEM from vector data, please write back. Also, my
email address is: x94odenkirk at wmich.edu
                                                Thank You!
                                                        Phil