importing Landsat TM data

Agustin Lobo alobo at ija.csic.es
Tue Feb 6 07:00:00 EST 1996

""Please help me to import Landsat TM data to GRASS4.1 from hard disk.
I have a whole scene Landsat TM data store in my hard disk, but I don't
know which command in GRASS4.1 I can use to import the data into GRASS.
I had tried the commands `i.tape.tm' and `i.tape.other' but it seems
these commands are using to read Landsat TM data from tape instead of
from hard disk. Please help if you know how to import the Landsat TM
data to GRASS4.1 from hard disk. By the way, I also need to know
which command in GRASS4.1 I can use to cut out only small part of the
whole scene Landsat TM data.""

Ryan,

1. Try to put more descriptive Subjects (not "article for info.grass.user").
Many people  (like me) would look at messages according to the Subject
field.

2. I guess that your Tm data come from ESA (Frascati) and not from
EOSAT. Am I wrong? I think that EOSAT tape headers are different
from ESA headers and that grass programs are assuming EOSAT headers.
In any case, I've never been succesful of running the i.tape*
family with my ESA tapes. BUt do not trash them, you can read them.

3.Adapt the following script file. Exucute it as nohup cinta.scr &
(cinta.scr is The file name). In the script, t491 is the particular
name that I gave to the image. The image itself is contained
in the t491.*c files, with a and b being the ancillary files \
(check it just in case I'm wrong, by looking at file size with
ls -lz).

NOTE THAT using this script you will download the entire image. Make
sure you have disk space! probably you want to download only
the first channel the first time (i.e., the t491.1* files).
Once you have the image downloaded, port it to grass as binary.
Let me know if you do not know how to do this, but once you've read
the tape.

The script follows:

#!/bin/csh -f
#EJECUTAR nohup cinta.scr &
#mirar como va con more nohup.out
#borra nohup.out al final para no confundirte la proxima vez
set echo
set verbose
cd /landsat/teruel/tape
mt -f /dev/rmt2 rewind
dd if=/dev/rmt2.1 of=t491.1a ibs=4320
dd if=/dev/rmt2.1 of=t491.1b ibs=4320
dd if=/dev/rmt2.1 of=t491.1c ibs=4320
dd if=/dev/rmt2.1 of=t491.2a ibs=4320
dd if=/dev/rmt2.1 of=t491.2b ibs=4320
dd if=/dev/rmt2.1 of=t491.2c ibs=4320
dd if=/dev/rmt2.1 of=t491.3a ibs=4320
dd if=/dev/rmt2.1 of=t491.3b ibs=4320
dd if=/dev/rmt2.1 of=t491.3c ibs=4320
dd if=/dev/rmt2.1 of=t491.4a ibs=4320
dd if=/dev/rmt2.1 of=t491.4b ibs=4320
dd if=/dev/rmt2.1 of=t491.4c ibs=4320
dd if=/dev/rmt2.1 of=t491.5a ibs=4320
dd if=/dev/rmt2.1 of=t491.5b ibs=4320
dd if=/dev/rmt2.1 of=t491.5c ibs=4320
dd if=/dev/rmt2.1 of=t491.6a ibs=4320
dd if=/dev/rmt2.1 of=t491.6b ibs=4320
dd if=/dev/rmt2.1 of=t491.6c ibs=4320
dd if=/dev/rmt2.1 of=t491.7a ibs=4320
dd if=/dev/rmt2.1 of=t491.7b ibs=4320
dd if=/dev/rmt2.1 of=t491.7c ibs=4320
mt -f /dev/rmt2 rewoffl

Agus

Dr. Agustin Lobo
Instituto de Ciencias de la Tierra (CSIC)
Marti Franques s/n
08028 Barcelona (Spain)

tel. 34 3 330 2716
fax. 34 3 411 0012