SGI and d.mon iris trouble

Matthew T. Mellon mmellon at mail.sas.upenn.edu
Tue Jan 23 07:00:00 EST 1996

Dear kind GRASS users,

        I've tried very hard not to bother you, but I've finally reached a dead
 stop:
I'm using GRASS 4.1 with an SGI Iris Indigo R4000, 32mb RAM, 1gb hd (soon to be
5gb).  I've been trying to use the "iris" driver for d.mon, and have several
questions:

* Why can't I select "iris" in the x-menu for d.mon, only from the grass shell?
        (iris doesn't appear as a choice, only x0, x1 ... x6 or x7)

* Even when I do start iris from d.mon, I keep getting error messages when I
try to display raster maps (which display just fine on x0, etc.), such as:
        "too many raster maps open" or
        "too many cell file open"  or
        "unable to open cell file" ...
and so forth, each time.  Has anyone encountered this, and if so, a fix?

* Lastly, might I ask how one launches SG3D, and does it require the iris
monitor.  (And does it display a 3D raster elevation map much better than the
d.3d does in the x0 monitor?  I hope so...Not that d.3d is bad, but I just
hoped I'd get better viewing of my bad data on the SGI.  :)

Thank you very much for any respones.  I've been struggling to get our Geology
dept. set up with a GIS for over a year and a half.  PLEASE, if anyone out
there is using Grass with SGI, and wouldn't mind an occasional question, please
contact me.  I've learned a great deal about importing DEM's recently, and
might be able to offer some advice there (though at the moment, I have a small
problem with a mountain range ending exactly at 67deg.W, where the next DEM
starts)...

Finally, if anyone is using Grass in Geology, I'd love to talk sometime -- I'm
hoping that we will get up and running with some remote sensing work, and with
some structural applications.  Our department also does a lot of work with
biogeochemistry and soils (Art Johnson), and I'd love to hear from any
ecologists out there.  Personally, I'm working on beginning a large
paleoclimate study, incorporating paleotectonic maps and paleobotanical data
(and my current thesis project, clay mineral data).

Please reply directly, if at all possible.  I can also read the list from the
GRASS page.

Thank you again.
                                Sincerely,
                                        Matt Mellon