Wanted: r.in.idrisi module

William L. Baker BakerWL at uwyo.edu
Thu Jan 18 07:00:00 EST 1996

Haven't tried to go from IDRISI to GRASS yet, but with IDRISI for
Windows, the following works to bring in a GRASS raster:

1. Uncompress the GRASS raster file (e.g., test) using r.compress
2. make an IDRISI data directory (e.g., test) somewhere
    make the following subdirectories:
     test/cell
     test/cellhd
     test/cats

3. move or ftp the GRASS files for test from the cell, cellhd, and
cats directories where you keep your GRASS data into the
corresponding IDRISI data subdirectories you created in 2 above.

4. start IDRISI
     set ENVIR to test directory
     click on File, the Import, then Software-Specific Formats,
          then GRASSIDR to the the GRASS-IDRISI
          conversion menu
     Make sure GRASS to Idrisi is highlighted
     Set GRASS file type to byte binary
     Double click on the white frame under GRASS file name,
          then use the Pick File menu to highlight "test"
     Type in a name for the Output Idrisi image
     If input file has category values from 0-256, then make the
          output image data type "byte"
     If input file has category values from -32000 to +32000,
          then make output image data type "integer"
     Click on Import legend information if you have a cats file
          from GRASS
     Type in the units (e.g., "meters") in the Value units space
     Click on OK
     In a few seconds to a few minutes IDRISI will have created
          a TEST.IMG and TEST.DOC file.

> As the subject says, I'm looking for this module, and of course the
> corresponding r.out.idrisi module if it exists.  A colleague of mine
> showed me a Grass beginner's manual (from the U. of Texas?) which listed
> the r.in.idrisi module, so I am reasonably sure it exists.

Bill Baker