How to import DLG data in optional format

Gregg A. Hadish gahadish at iastate.edu
Tue Jan 9 07:00:00 EST 1996

At 05:30 AM 1/9/96 -0600, you wrote:

>Hello,
>       I am trying to import some DLG data (in optional format) that
>I downloaded from cr.usgs.gov. After uncompressing the downloaded files,
>I have something like the following:
>
>       AU.BDF01.opt, AU.BDF02.opt, AU.BDF03.opt, AU.BDF04.opt
>       AU.BDF05.opt, AU.BDF06.opt, AU.BDF07.opt, AU.BDF08.opt
>
>I have been instructed to use v.in.dlg or v.in.dlg2 to get started
>with the process of importing the data into GRASS; however, this
>program requires the use of *one* ".opt" file. Currently, I have 8
>".opt" files. How can one combine all of the files listed above
>into one ".opt" file that I can use with the v.in.dlg or v.in.dlg2
>commands of GRASS? I have read the manuals but can not seem to locate
>this information. I would be *truly grateful* for any type of help
>hints or advice :)
>

>Thank you in advance
>
>Casey

Each file will have to be treated individually at first but can be combined
later in v.patch.
First run
dd if=inputfilename of=outputfilename ibs=8000 cbs=80 conv=unblock
This will add record delimiters prior to importing into GRASS.

Then run v.in.dlg, or v.import (DLG option).

These files comprise a 1:100,000-scale quad divided into 8 7.5'-scale quads.

Run v.patch to create a single map layer.

Good Luck

Gregg Hadish
Golden Hills Resource Conservation and Development
Oakland, Iowa