Scanning maps into GRASS

Angus Carr apcarr at FLASH.LakeheadU.CA
Tue Jul 23 08:00:00 EDT 1996

I also do this, with topo maps. A 256 color scan is usually enough, then a
bit of playing with pallettes if I have multiple tiles, to make sure the
pallettes are the same.
A bitmap editor on the PC with the scanner help me take off the text, but
I usually use these maps only as backdrops for reference, not as an
information source.

I can't think of a better way, really. The color and area accuracy I
demand of this process is relatively low, as long as they end up in the
right place.

Angus.