raster to gif or jpg

Stephan Pollard sp at cast.uark.edu
Fri Nov 22 13:13:05 EST 1996

Hi Marco,

You'd think that opening XV and grabbing a portion of a GRASS raster
display would result in a GIF image that had color mixes identical to
those of the GRASS raster file found in the "colr" directory. Wrong! I've not
done extensive experimenting but do have experience with a file that had
217 colors. XV grabbed 217 colors but upon inspection the mixes were not
the same (though very close).  Below is a set of procedures that will
result in the production of a GIF image of identical color mixes as the
original GRASS raster file provided the GRASS raster file is of 255 color
mixes or less.

   1.While in GRASS do a p.select and set the painter for "ppm" (Portable
Pix Map). This will result in subsequent outputs of p.map to be written to
a ppm image file.

   2.Run p.map interactively and answer the prompts appropriately. Choose
"best colors" when prompted for COLORMODE. I'm not sure how important the
question on map scale is. The output of p.map will be placed in your home
directory and will be called "paint.ppm"

   3.To change "paint.ppm" to a GIF run ppmtogif (a UNIX freeware graphics
utility).
     Ex. ppmtogif paint.ppm > paint.gif

Best Wishes,
Stephan

On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Alberto Giorgi wrote:
> Ciao,
>  I would like to know how can I create a gif or jpeg image from a raster
> image made by GRASS4.1.
> Marco Moret

TEL: (1) (501) 575-6159     Stephan POLLARD      FAX: (1) (501) 575-5218
                           Research Assistant
            Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies (CAST)
                             Ozark Hall #12
                         University of Arkansas
                   Fayetteville, Arkansas  USA  72701