Receiving information from Arc/Info

Bill Hargrove hnw at mtqgrass.ESD.ORNL.GOV
Fri Oct 4 10:29:39 EDT 1996

>Philip correctly described the only  way to move this data to grass
>using ungenerate, but you will have to repeat the procedure for every
>theme in the Arc database, making it very tiresome in for your data
>supplier if there are many different themes.

Such confusion about such a relatively simple conversion!

The truth is that the data supplier need only ungenerate once, assuming
that he/she dumps all Arc attributes at that time.

The rub is that GRASS only allows one attribute at a time to be
associated with the polygons.  Therefore, *on the user's side*, at the
time the file is imported with v.in.arc, the user will have to pick an
attribute, or, alternatively, create one GRASS layer per attribute.

I would not recommend the DXF conversion route.  Many have reported
that attributes are lost with this technique.

                                            Bill H.
     ____                             Oak Ridge National Laboratory
      /  )      /  /      /  /        Computational Physics and Engineering Div.
     /--<   o  /  /      /--/         P.O. Box 2008, M.S. 6274
    /___/__<__/__/_     /  / _        Oak Ridge, TN  37830-6274
   William W. Hargrove                (423) 241-2748
   hnw at mtqgrass.esd.ornl.gov          (423) 574-4634 (fax)