Can't run d.mon

Angus Carr apcarr at FLASH.LakeheadU.CA
Tue Oct 22 12:41:25 EDT 1996

As Malcom said, there is an XDRIVER24 available.  There is a binary
available for Linux on Moon, and I run it here occasionally.

It isn't entirely perfect, but it works. Which is what I wanted.

To get XFree86 to run at 8bpp (256 colors, pseudocolor, palette color,
whatever else you want to call it) you need to specify the -8bpp in the
command line to X, which is found in the xinit script in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit (I think.) Another approach is to modify
/etc/XF86Config to use 8bpp by default by ( I seem to recall) putting the
8bpp section before the 16bpp section at the bottom of the file.

I played around to get all this to work, but it is all in the man pages
(somewhere) for Linux. I wish you luck finding it. I didn't enjoy it, but
my system now does what I want it to.

Angus.