Can't run d.mon

Luc Boerboom BOERBOOM at UGA.CC.UGA.EDU
Mon Oct 21 08:00:00 EDT 1996

Hello GRASS-users,

I look forward to the time that I can answer questions but for now I
still only ask them. I reinstalled GRASS on a Linux 2.0.0 PC with a
new videocard (Diamond Stealth 64 2MB) after my harddrive had broken
down and was replaced. GRASS worked under the old configuration with the
only differencethat it ran on the old harddrive and a Diamond Speedstar
1MB card. Obviously I had to reconfigure my windows configuration file:
XF86Config, a Linux file.

I installed the 1996 Linux compiled linuxg.a* files with the install.sh.

The problem:
I can start GRASS just fine and after filling out the entry screen I get
the GRASS prompt. Running e.g. d.rast works fine until it complains (of
course) that I need to run d.mon.

When I run d.mon this is what happens:
GRASS-GRID > d.mon start=x3
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  78 (X_CreateColormap)
  Serial number of failed request:  75
Please start graphics monitor <x3>.
Error - Graphics monitor <x3> not running!
Problem selecting x3. Will try once more
Please start graphics monitor <x3>.
Error - Graphics monitor <x3> not running!

I tried:
- csh and bash (the latter worked before hardrive brake down)
- fvwm95 and fvwm (the latter worked before hardrive brake down)
- to install Grass4.1.3 which for some reason did not work, I guess it
  was confused with the other GRASS4.1.5 still being present.

A suggestion here at computer services was that I might want to recompile
GRASS on my own machine. Is that a solution? What does it entail? Where is
thes source code located of GRASS 4.1.5? (I think i did see 4.1.3)?

ORRR... is this not a GRASS problem but an X-windows or Linux problem?
I hope All this info is enough for one of you to help me out. Thanks in
advance.

Luc