USGS DLG files

Mike Hanratty hanra001 at gold.tc.umn.edu
Mon Sep 30 08:00:00 EDT 1996

> From: Ed Davison <bfdi533 at spice.cc.utexas.edu>
> Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 16:33:58 -0500
> To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
> Subject: USGS DLG files
>
> How do I import USGS DLG files into a GRASS data set?
>
> Ed Davison
> edavison at febc.comland.com

Steps for importing USGS DLG files

1. Download from EROS Data Center (keep .gz suffix)
2. Unzip file using gzip -d fname
3. Divide into 80 character lines: fold fname > newfname
4. Import into GRASS: v.import
        1
        newfname
        y  UTM projection (sometimes not asked)
        n  Lines, not Areas
        n  Don't do multiple attribute (runs out of memory on my machine)
        n  Don't snap

Michael Hanratty                               Phone: (612) 627-4590
Dept. of Civil Engineering                            (612) 626-0024
University of Minnesota                        Fax:   (612) 627-4609
St. Anthony Falls Laboratory
Mississippi River at 3rd Ave SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414