4.0 and 4.1 compatibility

julied at robinhood.ssmc.noaa.gov julied at robinhood.ssmc.noaa.gov
Fri Sep 13 08:00:00 EDT 1996

Hi Grass Users,

Thanks for the responses about the question I asked yesterday.  I don't think I
 really asked
the right question though. We have a couple of different issues
that we are bouncing around right now.

One question I have is if we run GRASS on 3 workstations, are there going
to be problems if one workstations (these are IBM RS/6000's) is running
GRASS4.0 and the other two are running GRASS4.1, but we need to share
files (so one day a file is opened in GRASS4.0 and another day the same
file is opened in GRASS4.1.5).

Another question is what happens if we through a Linux operated machine into th
e loop.
Can we use files on the IBM's running GRASS4.0 one day and the next day
use them on Linux running GRASS4.1

I think there is the potential for lots of problems, but I'm wondering if anyon
has had any experiences similar to those I described above.

As a side note, we haven't used XGRASS, and I don't think we really need to.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Julie Daniel
National Weather Service
email: julied at lionheart.ssmc.noaa.gov