moving from an AIX to a Linux environment

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Fri Sep 13 08:00:00 EDT 1996

julied at robinhood.ssmc.noaa.gov wrote:

> Dear GRASS users:
>
> Our division is thinking of migrating from an IBM RS/6000 AIX environment
> to an Intel Pentium Pro Linux environment.
> We are currently still using GRASS4.0, but we'd like to migrate to
> Grass4.1.2 as well.
> I am asking for any feedback that anyone can give me about how smooth
> or rough a migration it may be.  In particular I'm wondering about
> digitizing. We have a Calcomp digitizer and we use the GRASS routine
> xdigit (rather than v.digit). Are these issues that I should be concerned
> with? Another question would be if we can have a mixed environment, can we
> transfer files from aix to linux easily?
>
> Thanks in advance for any thoughts and comments you may have on this
> issue.
>
> Julie Daniel
> National Weather Service
> email: julied at lionheart.ssmc.noaa.gov
> (301) 713-1669
Regarding your question about migration to GRASS on Linux, I think it is
fairly simple. The GRASS CD-ROM brought by Mr. Andreas Holz (Please see
the GRASS moon site for details) has the compiled version of XGRASS. Mr.
Holz mentions that he complied XGRASS with Metrolink Motif but his
XGRASS version works alright with the FVWM window manager (included in
Linux) with out much trouble.

I hope this answers a part of you question
Venkatesh Raghavan
Osaka City University Media Center
raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp