moving from an AIX to a Linux environment

julied at robinhood.ssmc.noaa.gov julied at robinhood.ssmc.noaa.gov
Thu Sep 12 08:00:00 EDT 1996

Dear GRASS users:

Our division is thinking of migrating from an IBM RS/6000 AIX environment
to an Intel Pentium Pro Linux environment.
We are currently still using GRASS4.0, but we'd like to migrate to
Grass4.1.2 as well.
I am asking for any feedback that anyone can give me about how smooth
or rough a migration it may be.  In particular I'm wondering about
digitizing. We have a Calcomp digitizer and we use the GRASS routine
xdigit (rather than v.digit). Are these issues that I should be concerned
with? Another question would be if we can have a mixed environment, can we
transfer files from aix to linux easily?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and comments you may have on this
issue.

Julie Daniel
National Weather Service
email: julied at lionheart.ssmc.noaa.gov