FTP incoming problem

Justin Hickey jhickey at impact1.hpcc.nectec.or.th
Fri Sep 6 08:00:00 EDT 1996

Hello

When I first downloaded the software for GRASS4.1 the incoming directory at the
following website:
        ftp://moon.cecer.army.mil/pub/grass/incoming
contained many grass update programs etc..

About two or three months ago, I noticed that whenever I linked to the above
ftp site, nothing appeared in the directory. I assumed someone cleaned the
directory and that possibly CERL no longer maintained the incoming directory.

I just read a message on the grass users list that said that files could be
accesed at the following site:
        ftp://moon.cecer.army.mil/pub/grass/incoming/Vector
Sure enough, linking to this site produces a listing of the vector files.
However when choosing the "Up to higher level directory" link on this page,
again the resulting page lists no files or directories including the link to
the Vector page which I had just visited.

Thinking that something might be wrong with accessing the files through the
web, I then tried to access the incoming directory through a regular anonymous
ftp session. Again a listing of the incoming directory listed nothing. However,
I could still change directory into the Vector directory. This seems to
indicate that possibly the permissions for the incoming directory allow me to
scan the directory but not to view it, but this is only a wild guess.

Since this has been the case for a few months now, I am wondering if I am the
only one experiencing this, and if so, why?

Any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)
High Performance Computing Center