Continuing problems with importing SDTS files into GRASS

Henry Shin shin_hw at clark.net
Sun Feb 2 13:00:00 EST 1997

Hello,

I have made some progress in converting SDTS point data file into GRASS.
However, there are number of problems that I am struggling with and I
would very much appreciate some help from those that are familiar with
SDTS conversion.

The SDTS data file that I would like to import has the following
metadata.

Planar:
	Map_Projection:
		Map_Projection_Name: Albers Conical Equal Area
		Alber_Conical_Equal_Area:
			Standard_Parallel: 29.5
			Standard_Parallel: 45.5
			Longitude_of_Central_Meridan: -96
			Latitude_of_Projection_Origin: 23
			False_Easting: 0.0
			False_Northing: 0.0

When I followed the menu options for creating a new location, I got the
following error: (I used the "Other" option then selected Albers Conical
Equal Area Prjection)

Processing CATD module
Processing STAT module
Processing IDEN module
Processing XREF module
Warning: Current GRASS projection (Other) does not match SDTS data set
projection (Latitude-Longitude)
Entering 'Information Only' mode
Processing IREF module

         INFORMATION ABOUT THE SDTS DATA SET

Identification module:  PREFIDEN.DDF

Standard identification:           SPATIAL DATA TRANSFER STANDARD
Standard version:                  1992 AUGUST 28
Standard documentation reference:  FIPS PUB 173 - 1992
Profile identification:            SDTS TOPOLOGICAL VECTOR PROFILE
Profile version:                   VERSION 1.0 JUNE 10, 1994
Profile documentation reference:   FIPS 173-1 PART 4
Title:                             BOX_COV,LANDFILL:
Data ID:
Data structure:                    ARC/INFO
Map date:
Data set creation date:            19961122
Scale:
Comment:

External Spatial Reference module:  PREFXREF.DDF
Reference System name:                  GEO
Horizontal Datum:                       NONE
Zone Number:                            0

Spatial Domain module:  PREFSPDM.DDF
Spatial Domain type:                    MINMAX

MAP:    box_cov
THEME:  *
MANIFOLD:       box_cov
BOUNDARY:
        MIN_X   MIN_Y   MAX_X   MAX_Y
        -124.106422  25.935798  -66.993011  48.986392
Done.

According to the error message, it looks like I should have selected
Long-Lat map projection instead of "Albers Conical Equal ARea". So, I
creasted a new location with Long-Lat projection and proceeded to
convert the data. Unfortunately, v.in.sdts exited with segmentation
fault.

Processing CATD module
Processing STAT module
Processing IDEN module
Processing XREF module
Processing IREF module
Processing manifold: box_cov
Processing LE module: PREFLE01.DDF
Processing PC module: PREFPC01.DDF WARNING: No area_point for attributed
area 'PC01#2' found

Processing NO Module: PREFNO01.DDF
Processing NE Module: PREFNE01.DDF . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Processing GRASS dig_atts
Schema Type = '1'
Processing attribute modules . . .
Writing Composite Attribute modules
Writing Attribute Primary modules (6)
  PREFAXRF.DDF
  PREFAPNE.DDF Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Well, I am stucked! I would appreciate any help resolving this problem.
Thank you for reading this long post.

Henry Shin