d.mon for Solaris 2.5 pre-compiled binary

Ellen M. Haas ellen at alla.pl.swf.usace.army.mil
Mon May 5 17:22:07 EDT 1997

Hello,

Hopefully this is a fairly easy question that can be quickly answered.
I downloaded the Solaris 2.5 binary of GRASS from cecer.army.mil and am
having trouble getting a monitor started.  The $GISBASE is set
correctly, and the monitorcap file was edited to reflect the correct
directories.

When I issue the d.mon command in GRASS ("d.mon start=x0") I receive a
message saying that the command must be run interactively.  Well, that's
a pain, but even when I try it interactively, no monitors get listed,
and all I get is the usage for the d.mon command.  I can force a monitor
open by running the $GISBASE/etc/mon.start program so I think the
parameters are all set correctly.

Am I missing something obvious here?  Eventually we want to run GRASS
remotely from out server (SUN Ultra2) on our SPARC 2s, but before I can
do that, I need to be able to run it locally.  Your help and/or pointers
would be appreciated.  I do not subscribe to the mailing list, so a
direct response to the following e-mail address would be appreciated.

   ellen at alla.pl.swf.usace.army.mil

Ellen Haas
GIS Person

Ellen M. Haas                 Phone: (817) 334-2095  FAX: (817) 885-7539
CESWF-PL-RE                    e-mail: ellen at alla.pl.swf.usace.army.mil
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
819 Taylor Street/Box 17300         "A patient human just totally
Fort Worth, Texas  76102-0300        confounds and annoys a cat"