Full functionality of Linux-Grass ?

David Mandel dmandel at transport.com
Tue May 27 09:50:10 EDT 1997

On Sun, 25 May 1997, Andreas Paukner-Ruzicka wrote:

> Hello GRASS-users !
> I am totally unfamiliar with GRASS and I am planing to install it
> and do some work with it. Because I have just a PC with LINUX on it I
> want to know if there are any functions of standard UNIX-GRASS that are
> not implemented or supported by the LINUX-version.

A PC (Intel compatiable, ISA/PCI type workstation) is "just a PC" when it
runs a closed under powered operating system such as MS-Windows 95.
However, Linux is a full powered Unix clone which can match or best all of
the other Unix OSs I've used.  Because of this, one should expect to get
as much from any Linux based application as one would get if it were
running under any other Unix; and so far I have found this to be the case.
In my experience, GRASS seems to run as well under Linux as under SCO Unix
or AIX.  Of course, one must consider various complications in making such
comparisons, as my AIX machine as a faster CPU then my Linux machine.
Also, AIX seems to be a bit simplier and has fewer bugs; but lacks
flexiability and many of the standard Linux utilities.  Also, I haven't
found the source code for AIX yet!!!  Wonder why?

In any case, GRASS on Linux is quite good.  I have no second thoughts
about recommending it.

                                                   Dave Mandel

 David Mandel, Linux Activist             dmandel at transport.com
 Internet Provided by:   Transport Logic         (503) 243-1940
               Serving the Pacific Northwestern USA
 Portland  *  Vancouver  *  McMinnville   *   Salem    *   Bend