Problem Installing GRASS4.1 - XDriver

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Mon Sep 8 12:55:36 EDT 1997

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997 duncan_a at wrcplc.co.uk wrote:

> From:	NAME: Alistair Duncan
> 	FUNC: GIS Group <DUNCAN_A at SATURNA1@TITAN>
> To:	NAME: GRASSu List <smtp%"grassu-list at moon.cecer.army.mil"@internet>,
> 	NAME: GRASS Bug <smtp%"grassbug at zorro.cecer.army.mil"@internet>
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install GRASS v4.1 update 5 on a Sun Sparc 2 running SunOS 4.1.3.
>
> It seems to install fine, apart from the X Drivers - which are vital. The
> GISGEN script falls over when trying to compile the X Driver with the following
> message :-

> GISGEN: src/display/devices/XDRIVER  ..............
> ..
> ..
> ..
> cc -O -D_NO_PROTO -I/export/homeb/users/grass/grass4.1/src/include -c
> SWITCHER.C
> ./includes.h: 9: Can't find include file X11/Xos.h
> ./includes.h: 11: Can't find include file X11/Xlib.h
> ./includes.h: 12: Can't find include file X11/Xutil.h
>
> ***. Error code 2.
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target 'OBJ/SWITCHER.o'
> Current working directory
> /export/homeb/users/grass/grass4.1/src/display/devices/XDRIVER/XDRIVER
>
> ***. Error code 1.
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target 'all'
> GISGEN failure at STEP: src/display/devices/XDRIVER

> Does anybody know how I can solve this problem and get the X drivers working ??
> One possibility is that the X11 library files Xos.h, Xlib.h and Xutil.h are
> missing - has anyone got a workaround for this, or could they point me to an
> ftp site that has these files??
>

> Thanks very much in advance for any help,
>
> Alastair Duncan

Hi, Alastair
You can use the "find" command to see if these files are really on you
machine - it may take a little while if you start from the root
directory. Something like the following:

find / -name Xos.h -print

If it returned the following:

/usr/openwin/share/include/X11/Xos.h

then I would make sure that my $SRC/CMD/head/sun4 file had the following
entry (assuming that you're calling your architecture "sun4"):

XINCPATH            = -I/usr/openwin/share/include

Hope that this helps. Good luck,
	-Malcolm