[GRASSLIST:1365] GRASS integration with MODFLOW

Rick Gagne rghydro at waterwatch.com
Fri Jan 16 12:23:12 EST 1998

I am starting up a large urban land use groundwater quality study (40 km by 60 km
study area, 50 m cell size, 3000 wells to be sampled 10 times over 15 years) in
Nova Scotia, Canada, for which GRASS is beautifully suited.

GIS information will include: geology (soil and bedrock lithology, chemistry,
metamorphic grade, mine locations, known mineral deposits, depositional and
structural fabric), physical hydrogeology (site well construction and geology data,
average pumping rates, groundwater elevation, seasonal level changes), lake
water chemistry, topography, precipitation and other climatic data, vegetation,
groundwater recharge characteristics (derived from other layers), prevailing wind
direction (study sea spray affects), all available urban land use data, any other
information useful to the study, plus 40 to 50 chemical parameters (and various
interpretation maps derived thereafter).

I will also need to do 3-D groundwater modeling in the study area (perhaps at
various scales), and I am thinking of using MODFLOW and other related USGS
groundwater modeling programs for that purpose. In that regard, the only Linux
pre-post processor for MODFLOW that I am aware of is Uncert (are there
others?), which I have not tried yet. However, it would be great if I could integrate
GRASS with MODFLOW somehow to facilitate the study.

I understand that someone did some work to integrate MODFLOW with GRASS
(version 3.0?). Does anybody know what may have come of this work? Has
anyone tried to integrate groundwater models (MODFLOW in particular) with
GRASS versions 4 or 5?  Finally (a concept question for those with knowledge of
the GRASS inner workings and direction of development), would it be difficult to
write code to integrate MODFLOW, MODPATH and perhaps other related USGS
groundwater migration model programs with some future version of GRASS?

Regards,

        Rick

RG Hydro-Environmental Ltd.
WaterWatch ..... independent groundwater research

Richard Gagne, P.Geo., President
PO Box 25099
Halifax, NS  Canada   B3M 4H4

e-mail: rghydro at waterwatch.com