dxf to polygons

roland muench rmonde at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jan 21 18:56:49 EST 1998

----------
From: 	Andrea Giacomelli[SMTP:andreag at crs4.it]
Sent: 	Tuesday, 20 January 1998 5:04
To: 	grass at cecer.army.mil
Cc: 	Andrea Giacomelli
Subject: 	dxf to polygons

Hi,
I need to import some DXF files to GRASS.

With linear themes, the v.in.dxf3d does an excellent job; with
polygon themes I have problems in reconstructing the proper polygons via
v.digit.

I can first of all "re-type" arcs from line to area; however,
when I pass to assigning labels, the process succeeds only if the
polygon is composed by 1 or 2 arcs (otherwise v.digit says it
is not able to define a polygon).

At any rate, reconstructing the polygons manually can become very
time consuming.
I have re-checked the documentation on v.in.dxf and v.cadlabel,
and I see that there is no mentioning of polygon themes...

So: is it possible to reconstruct automatically a polygon from a DXF polyline ?

Maybe with polylines defining the arcs and text labels positioned
inside the polygons ?

I will be grateful for any hints !

                Andrea Giacomelli
                Centre for Advanced Studies, Research and
                Development in Sardinia
                Environment Division

                http://www.crs4.it/~andreag

Hi Andrea,

Try the grass program v.line2area after importing the dxf polygons.
This usually creates correct topology.

Then follow with v.alabel which automatically labels your areas incrementally.
Then add your attribute labels with v.support.

This usually works 100 %.

Cheers
Roland Muench
Parks and Wildlife Commission N.T.