Can't start XDRIVER in Linux

James Palma jpalma at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jun 12 10:32:35 EDT 1998

Hello

I just installed GRASS 4.2.1r15 downloaded from keck.baylor.edu.  When I
log into a session and try to start a monitor using "d.mon start=x0", I
get an error saying:

X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  78 (X_CreateColormap)
  Serial number of failed request:  270
Please start graphics monitor <x0>.
Error - Graphics monitor <x0> not running!
Problem selecting x0. Will try once more
Please start graphics monitor <x0>.
Error - Graphics monitor <x0> not running!

I am running RedHat 5.1 win XFree86 3.3.2-8 on a Mach64 server in 32 bit
mode.  All the paths in $GISBASE/etc/monitorcap seem correct.

Any ideas?