Contents of new GRASS core package - Was: Re: Packaging GRASS

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Jun 23 09:23:20 EDT 1998

Dear GRASS Community,
it seems to be necessary to split the GRASS package. Up to now
we have more than 340 modules in GRASS 4.2.1.

I would like to invite YOU to make suggestions on a

 - GRASS basic package  and one (or more)
 - GRASS professional package (which could/should be splitted again)

For a discussion about the modules to be included you can make use
of the GRASS modules lists in:

 - http://www.laum.uni-hannover.de/iln/grass/grass42/capabilities.html
 - http://www.laum.uni-hannover.de/iln/grass/grass42/functional_check.html
 - http://www.laum.uni-hannover.de/iln/grass/grass42/Whats-new-in-421.html

Basic contents should be the following modules:
 - import/export
 - internal format conversion
 - statistics/reports
 - display
 - data query (mouse and through files)
 - basic map calculations
 - TclTKGRASS graphical user interface
          (this needs improvement: support to define NEW locations!)

The professional edition could contain
 - simulation modules (erosion, floodplain, water etc.)
 - expert systems (binfer etc.)
 - image processing
 - database interfaces (Postgres-support is important!)

If you agree I could collect the answers and put a summary onto
the 4.2.1-WWWserver.

   Markus Neteler

Geographisches Institut           |            Institute of Geography
   Physische Geographie                          Physical Geography
 & Landschaftsoekologie                        & Landscape Ecology
Universitaet Hannover                 University of Hannover, Germany
                     neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
             http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/users/neteler/