grass under opennt

Roy Sanderson R.A.Sanderson at newcastle.ac.uk
Tue May 26 05:20:33 EDT 1998

Dear Brian

A couple of months back I experimented with the 30-day demonstration
version of OpenNT that Softway supplies on CD-ROM.  I'm no UNIX guru (in
fact I've never compiled GRASS on any system before), but I managed to get
GRASS 4.2 to compile, but couldn't complete the linking stage, as I was
using a dual boot Win95/WinNT machine.  (the OpenNT ln command requires
NTFS file system).

Most of the GRASS code (version 4.2) compiled without many errors.  One
thing to watch is that some function calls (e.g. ioctl) may need editing -
you'll see the errors flagged up when you begin the compilation.  For your
interest, here is the head file I used, which worked fine.  Good luck!

Roy

CC                  = gcc
ARCH                = opennt

GISBASE             = //C/usr/grass4.2/src42
UNIX_BIN            = //C/OpenNT/usr/local/bin

DEFAULT_DATABASE    = //C/usr/grass.data
DEFAULT_LOCATION    = spearfish

COMPILE_FLAGS       = -ansi
LDFLAGS             = -s

XCFLAGS             = -D_NO_PROTO
XLDFLAGS            =
XINCPATH            = -I//C/OpenNT/usr/X11R5/include
XMINCPATH           =
XLIBPATH            = -L//C/OpenNT/usr/X11R5/lib
XTLIBPATH           = -L/usr/lib
XMLIBPATH           = -L/usr/lib
XLIB                = -lX11
XTLIB               = -lXaw -lXmu -lXt -lXext
XMLIB               = -lXm
XEXTRALIBS          =

TERMLIB             =
CURSES              = -lcurses $(TERMLIB)
MATHLIB             = -lm

#                   LIBRULE = ar ruv $@ $?
#                   LIBRULE = ar ruv $@ $?; ranlib $@
#                   LIBRULE = ar ruv $@ $?; ar ts $@
#                   LIBRULE = ar rc $@ `lorder $(OBJ) | tsort`
LIBRULE             = ar ruv $@ $?

USE_TERMIO          = -DUSE_TERMIO
USE_MTIO            =
USE_FTIME           =
DIGITFLAGS          =
VECTLIBFLAGS        =
GETHOSTNAME         = -DGETHOSTNAME_OK

At 15:53 25/05/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>	I have looked at the opennt site www.opennt.com and saw a press release
>that states
>many US Military Unix users are migrating to Nt with Opennt.  I was hoping
>that this means
>someone at the US Army-CERL has ported grass to opennt.
>
>	Has anyone ported GRASS to OPENNT?
>
>	Thanks in advance.
>
>	Brian
>            ll             Brian Sieben
>            ll             Master's Student
>       \    ll    /        University of British Columbia
>        \  /ll\  /         Forest Sciences
>         -J ll L-
>           /  \            2357 Main Mall
>         (@)  (@)          Vancouver, B.C.
> }\      I _--_ I     /{   Canada
>   \   /-/     \-\   /     V6T 1Z4
>    ]]] /_______\ [[[
>      /||||\_/||||\/       Phone 604 228-2544 (home)
>      /|||||||||||\              604 822-8223 1st Fl Fac Club(temp off)
>     +|||||| ||||||+       Fax   604 822-9102
> /]]]]|||||| ||||||[[[[\   EMAIL sieben at unixg.ubc.ca
>/     |||||| ||||||     \  http://www.forestry.ubc.ca/weevil/weevil.htm
>     / \ ||| ||||/ \       ----------------------------------
>     I  L|/   \|J  I       Topic:
>     I             I       Climatically Based Weevil Hazard Rating
>   ]/               \[     and Climate Change

Roy Sanderson
Centre for Land Use and Water Resources Research
Porter Building
University of Newcastle
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU