Precipitation Estimation

Francisco Alonso Sarría alonsarp at fcu.um.es
Mon Nov 23 03:51:11 EST 1998

At 11.53 22/11/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello to all.
>
>I have the following problem (or question:)
>
>Does anybody know of any existing tool or module that calculates point based
>precipitation into the surface with respect to the orography?
>I used r.surf.idw, but this does only estimate rainfall for a given surface,
>but I need to take orography as well into consideration. How about
>r.mapcalc? Did anyone allready made some experience with this sort of
>estimation technique?
>
>Cheers
>
>Bernhard Sturm
>
>--------------------------------------
>Bernhard Sturm
>Centre for Development and Environment
>Department of Geography
>University of Berne
>Hallerstrasse 12
>3012 BERN - SWITZERLAND
>
>http://www.datacomm.ch/sturm

If you have a previous empirical model P=f(Z) obtained from your data.

Where Z is an orographic variable (mainly altitude) and P is precipitation

You can easily program it with r.mapcalc. Unfortunatelly you need an
external program to develop the statistical analysis. There is a module in
GRASS, I don't remember the name, wich allows you to extract values from
raster layers corresponding with points in a point file.

Good luck.

      =    Francisco Alonso Sarría    =
      =    Area de Geografía Física   =
      =    Universidad de Murcia      =