GRASS 5.0 question

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Thu Sep 24 07:09:13 EDT 1998

> What is GRASS 5.0? Point me please to the right direction for learn more.
>
> I have using GRASS 4.2.1p18 now ;)
> --

GRASS 5.0 is the next BIG version to come this year. There are
main differences to GRASS 4.x:

 - including support for floating-point numbers and the separation of 0
   and null.
 - Since GRASS 5.0 is much larger and more complex than previous versions,
   new installation programs will guide the user through the install process.
   In addition to options for full and custom installation, there will be
   pre-configured "toolbox" GRASS installs for applications such as hydrologic
   analysis, remote sensing and image processing, and database applications.
 - the TclTKGRASS graphical user interface, we developed for GRASS 4.2.1
   (http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/main_tclgrass.html) will be included
   and further developed

Details are described at
   http://www.baylor.edu/~grass/5.0release.info.html

Bugfixes etc. from 4.1 to 4.2.1 will be transferred to 5.0 code.

Cheers,

  Markus Neteler