ascii DXF files

Ben Horner-Johnson ben at earth.nwu.edu
Thu Sep 24 12:02:14 EDT 1998

Greetings.

I'm new to GRASS (been using it for less than a week).  I'm using version
4.2.1v18b.  I'll get v19 soon.  I'm trying to read in ASCII DXF files
from AutoCAD and not having any luck.  I don't know where GRASS is looking
for the file.  If I put it in a "dig" directory, v.import sees it when I
look for binary vector files, but not ascii ones.  I know g.list looks
for binary vector files (in dig).  The manual pages contained in vman.pdf
don't discuss this, the FAQ doesn't, and nothing in the Introduction to GRASS
written by Markus Neteler (thank you!) has helped me.

I can access the file using ER Mapper on a remote site and everything comes
through, so I know the DXF file is in the proper format.  v.in.dxf and v.in.dxf3d
don't see the file.  v.import (binary) starts importing the file and then
runs out of memory (shouldn't - lots of swap available) and suggests that the
disk is full (nope).

Thanks for any help.

Ben Horner-Johnson
ben at earth.nwu.edu