GRASS 4.2.1 lock file problem

derick at together.net derick at together.net
Tue Apr 13 08:58:42 EDT 1999

I too still have a "lock:" problem.

When I try to start GRASS 4.2 on a SPARC Classic running Red Hat 5.2 I get
the following error
message:
bash$ grass4.2
/data/grass42/etc/GIS.sh: /data/grass42/etc/lock: cannot execute binary file
Unable to properly access /home/dan/.gislock
Please notify system personel.
bash$

I've checked the file permissions on my home directory and the ../etc
directory...they seem to be in order.
bash$ pwd
/home
bash$ ls -alt
total 3
drwx------   9 dan      dan          1024 Apr 12 19:51 dan
drwxr-xr-x  18 root     root         1024 Apr 12 11:35 ..
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root         1024 Apr  5 21:47 .
bash$

bash$ pwd
/data/grass42/etc
bash$  ls -alt lock
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         3576 Sep 22  1998 lock
bash$

I've also installed the elfcurses libs and still no luck.

Is there a work around?  Does any one know if this is a SPARC implementation
problem?

Thanks,

Dan