x servers Re: Linux as an Application Server for GRASS

David Wheatley D.W.Wheatley at soton.ac.uk
Mon Aug 2 11:09:45 EDT 1999

> Spend the money on Hummingbird's Exceed X server - it is a very robust
> product, and probably the best of the bunch. We've used it for about
> five years now. As a bonus, it includes a very nice ftp client.
> --
> Best regards,
>         -Malcolm

Try Starnet's Xwin32 before shelling out for eXceed. When I compared them a
couple of years ago, I found we had stuff that ran on Xwin but not eXceed. Xwin
is fast, cheap (especially for education) and easy to use. It's 'Pseudocolor
support in truecolor mode' option lets you run 8-bit GRASS monitors on 16- or
24-bit PC screens. We've been using Xwin and Xwin32 for about 4 years on about
20 different PCs (Windows 3.x 95, 98 and NT) running applications on SGI, Sun
and Linux with no problems.

If you want the ftp client (and some other goodies) buy the Hummingbird stuff.
If all you want is a good X-server, then XWin is the business. Starnet's WWW
site is www.starnet.com (I think) where they have a demo version.

David Wheatley
Department of Archaeology
University of Southampton

PS - Malcolm, I have a sense of 'deja-vue' about this email - have we had this
conversation before?