Grass5.0beta2 install problem

bob at math.umn.edu bob at math.umn.edu
Thu Aug 5 14:34:55 EDT 1999

Joe,

> I am trying to install grass5.0beta2 on my MkLinux system which did have
> grass5.0beta running on it succsesfully.

My situation is similar - except that this version/revision is the first
to make it onto my linux 2.0.36 system.

> I placed grass5.0beta2.tar.gz in /usr/local and did a gzip -d.  I then did
> tar -xvf on the resulting grass5.0beta.tar.  After untarring I cd'd into
> the new directory grass5.0beta and ran ./configure both as a user, and then
> as root (after I had the problem below) everything seemed to go well with
> the last few lines of the data parsed to the screen from configure
> reading...
>
> <SNIP>
> checking for xdr_int in -lsun... (cached) no
> checking for xdr_int in -lnsl... (cached) yes
> creating ./config.status
> creating Makefile
> creating src/CMD/head/head
> creating src/scripts/shells/create_fifos.sh
> creating src/include/config.h
> src/include/config.h is unchanged
>
> I then ran "make install" and received this error?...
>
> install -d -m 755 /usr/local/grass-5.0b /home/grass/.bashrc
> UNIX_BIN=/usr/local/bin SRC=`pwd` /bin/sh src/CMD/generic/CREATE_GMAKE.sh
> /bin/sh: /home/grass/.bashrc: Permission denied
> make: *** [pre-install] Error 126
>
> Any ideas?
>
> R. Joe Brandon

I had a similar error.  This came up when I tried to put grass5b2 on one
disk and install it on another.  Moving it all to the same hard drive
solved the problem, though I would hope that the code could eventually be
tricked into doing this.  You might look at file ownerships, since you
got a permission denied.  Another option is to install the Bourne shell
as /bin/sh, which gets around the /home/grass/.bashrc problem, but only
trivially.

Hope this helps.

Adios,
Chris