patches to 5.0beta + I'm stumped

Justin Hickey jhickey at impact1.hpcc.nectec.or.th
Fri Aug 6 04:26:06 EDT 1999

Hello Alejandro

On Aug 5,  9:41am, Alejandro Hinojosa wrote:
> Subject: Re: patches to 5.0beta + I'm stumped
> Hello Jazzman,
> I am interested in the your compilation experience for SGI Origin 2000.
> Are you compiling with switches that make use of
> multiple processors?. We have one with 10 processors, and
> it will usefull to take advantege of the multi-thread processing,
> specially for the heavy stuff like r.watershed, r. water.fea , etc.

We are not using any switches for multiple processing. The reason why is that
in order to use multiple processors efficiently, the code must be written with
parallel programming techniques. Simply telling the compiler that you want a
program (originaly written as a sequential program) to use multiple processors
does not usually produce good parallel code. In fact I have seen instances
where the resulting parallel code was slower than the sequential version. If
any of the grass modules are to be parallelized (which would be great for some
of them), then the code for those modules needs to be re-written.
Unfortunately, we don't have the time to do that. So for now, we continue to
use sequential code.

Sorry I couldn't help you on this, but I will post the problems and the fixes I
had compiling grass when I finish (if I ever finish :).

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center