Spot images ?

Frank Warmerdam warmerda at home.com
Tue Aug 10 09:54:56 EDT 1999

Michael Schulz wrote:

> Hi !
>
> Has anybody experience how to import/access spot images in cap-Format
> (preprocessing level 1B) ?
>
> IS it possible via i.tape.other ro something like that ? I tried that,
> but could not access the cd-rom drive (though mounted!).

Michael,

I don't have any experience using grass to read spot CAP format, but I am
familiar with the format.  I see there is an i.tape.spot program which
looks more appropriate to your needs, have you tried it?  It doesn't seem
to have a man page.

If that doesn't work then give me the product type (Xs, Xi, or PAN) and I
will lookup the raw imagery layout information.

.. double take ...

Say, aren't i.tape.other and related programs for accessing real tapes?  I
looked at r.in.bin, and it doesn't seem to offer the flexibility to read
CAP format without lots of extra junk around the edges.

In looking briefly at i.in.spot, it seems that the tape access could, with
some work, be hooked to read from the disk files since the CEOS files have
the record lengths in the data.

If there is wide interest, I could likely write an i.in.ceos that would
just capture the raw imagery from the CEOS imagery file on CDROM.   This
would cover Spot CAP as well as other products like TM (from some sources),
RadarSat, ERS and so on.

Best regards,