grass4.2 linux binaries - libtermcap.so.2 problem

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Thu Dec 23 18:25:17 EST 1999

On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 03:57:32PM -0700, William L. Baker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Attempting to install the linux binaries for GRASS 4.2 under
> the new Corel Linux distribution.  I installed the developer
> version of Corel Linux so should have most of the libraries.
>
> grass4.2 fails to start GRASS and returns the message:
> /usr/local/grass42/etc/gis_set: can't load 'libtermcap.so.2'
>
> Anyone know about this library and how to get around this
> problem?  I searched for *termcap* but found only a few
> files, no library...

Since Corel Linux is based on Debian 2.1, you should be able to install
the termcap library from Slink.  Perhaps Corel has it somewhere as well.
I think it might be in oldlibs sectioning.  Debian 2.2 (potato)
doesn't use termcap (uses terminfo), but provides it in oldlibs as
`termcap-compat' "The termcap-compat package provides the
libtermcap.so.2 and /etc/termcap files which are required to run
non-Debian, binary-only termcap-based programs." It's there!