trouble starting monitors in grass5

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Wed Feb 10 14:04:15 EST 1999

> I got a problem with my new grass5 installation. When I try to start a
> monitor I get the message:
> " Sorry, permissions on </usr/local/grass/dev/fifo.1a> (644) should be
> 0666 Have GRASS administrator check etc/monitorcap file "
>
> I can't see what's wrong with my monitorcap file

Hi,

there is nothing wrong in your monitorcap file, but the "fifos" seems
to be damaged or having wrong permissions. No problem:

1. Change the permissions as root:
   - go to grass5/dev/
   - chmod 0666 fifo*

  That's it.

If that does not help:

2. Create new fifos:
- go to grass5/dev/
- look for the fifo-creating script create_fifos.sh
  If not there (should be), get it from:
   http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/create_fifos.sh

- rm fifo*   (throw the old ones)
- run the script to generate new fifos: