Grass vector to arcview shape files

D D Gray ddgray at armadce.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 12 13:37:22 EST 1999

Alejandro Hinojosa Corona wrote:

> Hello grass hoppers,
>
> Is there a way to convert grass vector files to arcview
> shape files. I know D'Avello developed a script to
> create  "world" file and "header" file for
> display in ArcView from the cellhd.
>
> In the back of my mind (where is that?) I remember someone
> made something for this task but  looking through my grass mail files,
> I couldn't grep any hint.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Alejandro Hinojosa

Hi

I have recently started using GRASS in a project which creates
isogradient (slope) polygons in grass as native GRASS `dig' files. I need
to import these then into ArcView, and this is how I do it.

Export GRASS vector file with

v.out.dlg input=<infile> output=<out.dlg>

Then in ArcView (this is v3.1 for Windows, but I believe it will work in
Unix versions too) - use the Dlg20a.ave script to import the DLG file.
You can get this script from ESRI's site if you don't have it. It is I
believe in dlg2shp.zip.

You might want to edit the imported to file to remove the matte and
`external' polygons ie. with Major1=0 (normal data has Major1=999 by
default) and then perhaps the Major1 field itself.)

Hope this helps

Cheers

DD Gray