Importing an undelimited text file to GRASS

Robert L. Sandefur RLS at HartCrowser.com
Fri Feb 19 11:33:53 EST 1999

hi if your filein is like
111112222233333
444445555566666
then
gawk '{print substr($0,1,5,),substr($0,6,5),substr($0,11,5,}'  filein
will give
11111 22222 33333
44444 55555 66666

the commas in print are important

bob

>>> Trond Rafoss <trond.rafoss at planteforsk.no> 02/19/99 07:44AM >>>
You must excuse this message if you find it to peripheral for the GRASS mailing list.

My problem is that I have a text file, where each value for the raster consist of 5 characters.
I can't get this into GRASS. I have tried to read all available documentation on the useful Gawk tool, but I can't find that it enable me to add space delimiters between columns, because also this tool requieres some kind of delimiters. I have a Fortran 90 program that should do the job but no F90 compiler.

Any suggestions ?

Best regards Trond Rafoss

tlf 64949473
mailto:trond.rafoss at planteforsk.no