Importing an undelimited text file to GRASS

Michel Wurtz - LTE mw at engees.u-strasbg.fr
Mon Feb 22 04:24:11 EST 1999

Trond Rafoss wrote:

> You must excuse this message if you find it to peripheral for the GRASS mailing list.
>
> My problem is that I have a text file, where each value for the raster consist of 5 characters.
> I can't get this into GRASS. I have tried to read all available documentation on the useful Gawk tool, but I can't find that it enable me to add space delimiters between columns, because also this tool requieres some kind of delimiters. I have a Fortran 90 program that should do the job but no F90 compiler.
>
> Any suggestions ?

If you are running Unix (or Linux, or aix, or...), try sed :

sed 's/...../& /g' < your_file > another_name

this will introduce a space each five characters.

You may also use Excel (import fixed length text file) with WinXX

--
Michel Wurtz    ENGEES - Laboratoire Territoires & Environnement
                1, quai Koch - BP 1039, F-67070 STRASBOURG cedex