could not lock the monitors

Kurt Gerber kgerber at giub.unibe.ch
Sun Feb 28 16:26:39 EST 1999

 Hi. I installed the grass 5.0beta and first it worked well, after I created a
directory named with the name of my computer.

Always, when I'm starting a monitor, the monitor appears, but also the error
message, that the monitor locking process couldn't be completed.  In the
locks/mycomputer/ there is an empty lockgfile.
I made a chmod -R 1777 for the locks/  direcotory I also recreated all the
fifos with chmod 0666 and even 0777 and its still not working.  I don't no what
I'm doing wrong. Then I thought I go back to the old but stable grass 4.2. But
it's the same problem.
I tried everything and I don't no, if there is a problem with grass or with my
linux?
Could somebody help me?