Boundary shape

William L. Baker BakerWL at UWYO.EDU
Sat Jul 10 10:49:19 EDT 1999

Most shape indices (including perimeter/area) are measuring
boundary complexity to some extent, but are more a measure
of compactness.  Perimeter/area has the undesirable trait
of varying with the size of the polygon even if polygon shape
remains constant, so it's not a good measure of
compactness/boundary complexity if polygons vary in size.
A better measure is either the corrected perim./area index
or the related circumscribing circle index.  Both are in the
r.le programs which work with GRASS.

Bill B.