can't start tcltkgrass; DISPLAY error

Linda Moet lindam at gwnsys.ca
Sat Jul 17 11:58:13 EDT 1999

I recently installed GRASS 4.2.1 on a Pentium 233MMX system running Red Hat
Linux 5.2 .  (I downloaded the binary file grass421_linuxbin21.tar.gz from
http://wgrass.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp/grassh/main_linuxbin.html ).  I followed
the instructions (linked to from the same page) and everything seemed to go
well.  I can start GRASS (by typing "grass4.2") and once I get through the
LOCATION/MAPSET/DATABASE screen (I also downloaded some test datasets), I
type "tcltkgrass&".  Here is where the trouble starts.  I have tried this
both as root and as a user, but both return the error messages:

Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
environment variable
Error in startup script: invalid command name "bind"
    while executing
"bind balloon <Enter> {
        set balloonHelp(%W,after) [after 400 {updateBalloonHelp %W}]
    }   "
    (procedure "BalloonInit" line 2)
    invoked from within
"BalloonInit"
    (file "/usr/local/grass42/tcltkgrass/main/gui.tcl" line 1307)
    invoked from within
"source $env(TCLTKGRASSBASE)/main/gui.tcl"
    (file "/usr/local/grass42/bin/tcltkgrass" line 17)

I searched the mailing list archives, but didn't find a problem exactly like
mine, but I thought it might help to set the DISPLAY environment variable
manually:

        export DISPLAY=:0.0

This produces the following error messages:

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
Application initialization failed: couldn't connect to display ":0.0"
Error in startup script: invalid command name "bind"
    while executing
"bind balloon <Enter> {
        set balloonHelp(%W,after) [after 400 {updateBalloonHelp %W}]
    }   "
    (procedure "BalloonInit" line 2)
    invoked from within
"BalloonInit"
    (file "/usr/local/grass42/tcltkgrass/main/gui.tcl" line 1307)
    invoked from within
"source $env(TCLTKGRASSBASE)/main/gui.tcl"
    (file "/usr/local/grass42/bin/tcltkgrass" line 17)

I also tried "xhost +" (because it was mentioned in an answer to someone
else's display problem in the mailing list archive) but it didn't work,
either.

The binary download page mentioned that I needed the lesstif library, so I
downloaded and unpacked that.  It also said I needed the tcltk8.0 linux
library, so I downloaded and unpacked that.  I also went to the TclTkGRASS
page and downloaded the latest version there, in case the latest version is
not the one packaged with GRASS 4.2.1.  At every turn, I get the same errors
listed above.

I am all out of ideas.  If someone could help me get this working, I would
appreciate it greatly.  I am running all of this on a Linux partition on my
local harddrive to see if I can make it work.  I have access to other
distributions of Linux (SuSE, Debian, Slackware) and I would happily change
distributions if another one would work better.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions,

Linda Moet
Programmer Analyst
GWN Technologies
lindam at gwnsys.ca